Fall 2020 1:1 Mentoring Match
The Odyssey Mentoring Program's 1:1 Mentoring Match will pair an alumni mentor with a student mentee based on overlapping areas of interest. Once matched, the mentor and mentee will connect virtually before Friday, November 20 for a helpful chat about their Columbia experience, current challenges in light of COVID, extracurricular activities, career interests and more. It’s as easy as that! Time and again, we hear from students that connecting with an alum for an informal conversation leaves a lasting impact. The goal is to offer students an additional avenue of support, connection and community.
- Tuesday, October 6: Registration opens
- Tuesday, October 20: Registration closes
- Week of October 26: Match notifications go out to mentors and mentees
- Week of October 26-Friday, November 20: Mentors and mentees connect virtually for a 30-60 minute conversation
- Friday, November 20: Deadline for connecting with your match
Who can sign up to be a mentee? Current students.
Who can sign up to be a mentor? For this program, we invite alumni who graduated in 2015 and earlier to sign up.
Who will I be matched with? A current student will be paired with an alumni mentor based on overlapping areas of interest. The more information you provide in your Odyssey Mentoring Program profile, the more ideal the match.
What is expected of me if I participate? The goal of the 1:1 Mentoring Match is for the mentor and mentee to connect one time for a 30-60 minute phone call or Zoom meeting between October 26-November 20. If the mentor and mentee want to connect more than once, that's great, but not required.
What should an alumni mentor ask their student mentee? The purpose of the 1:1 Mentoring Match is to support students during this challenging season of social distancing and remote learning. You might ask your student mentee some of the following questions:
- What challenges are you facing in light of COVID?
- What are the pros and cons of virtual learning?
- What are you most looking forward to this school year?
- What is your major (or anticipated major) and what are your favorite classes or subjects?
- What student groups and extracurricular activities are you involved with at Columbia?
- Do you know what you want to do after you graduate? What industries are you interested in?
What should a student ask an alumni mentor?
- What was your Columbia College experience like?
- How did you get from Columbia to where you are in your career today?
- Even though I'm remote, I'm wondering what you think I should make sure to take advantage of during my time at Columbia College?
- What challenges did you face while at Columbia or in your career and how you did you overcome them?
- Are there things you wish you did or could do differently when you were an undergraduate?
How can students prepare to meet their alumni mentors?
- Review their Odyssey Mentoring Program and LinkedIn profiles before reaching out.
- Draft a thoughtful message and provide 3-5 times that work for you to connect virtually.
- Respond within 24 hours.
- Always send a thank you note.
- Remember: there is no perfect match, but you can learn something valuable from every alum.
- Odyssey Mentoring Program is for guidance and advice. Do not ask an alum for a job or internship.
If you have any questions, please contact the Odyssey Mentoring team at email@example.com.